The United Kennel Club expects all breeders of UKC registered dogs to adopt and adhere to the UKC Breeder’s Code of Ethics to promote and foster high standards among breeders, owners, and fanciers in their improvement and advancement of UKC dog breeds.
I will keep accurate records, retain those records for a minimum of the life of the dog, and make them available to UKC upon request. These records will include, but are not limited to: stud service documents, pedigrees, all litters produced, breeding and whelp dates, and all dogs/puppies sold. I may use the “Breeder’s Record” that the UKC provides to assist in maintain these records.
• I shall plan each breeding with the paramount intention of improving the breed.
• I will select the stud dog and brood bitch with an eye to conformation, temperament and working instinct and ability, with a careful study of the breed standard and the principles of genetics.
• I will not breed any male or female until they are both physically and mentally mature, and will breed within the bounds of the minimum and maximum ages permitted in the UKC Registration Policies.
• I will not breed dogs with serious defects or disqualifications addressed in their breed standards.
• As a responsible breeder, I will refrain from using a dog that, although free from serious or disqualifying defects, consistently produces afflicted puppies.
• I will maintain high standards of health and care for my dogs, and provide puppies to buyers that are free from disease and parasites.
• I will be discriminating in the sales of my puppies, and concerned with the type of homes in which they are placed. My dogs/puppies will not be sold to dog wholesalers, retailers,
or pet shops.
• I will refrain from releasing any puppy until it is the minimum age as required by my state’s law.
ADVERTISING AND RELATIONS
• My advertising of dogs/puppies will be factual and honest, both in substance and implication.
• I believe breeding purebred dogs involves certain responsibilities, which I take very seriously.
• I will not advertise my dogs/puppies as UKC registered if they are not.
• As a breeder, I will encourage dog/puppy purchasers to become involved in UKC events and to embrace the Total Dog philosophy.
This Code of Ethics is intended as an expression of goals for breeders, owners, and fanciers. Both the Code of Ethics and the Registration Policies may be referenced and enforced if
violations are found.